He answers questions about its effect on fertility on the national radio show.
Dr. Alan Martinez spoke with Creating a Family’s executive director Dawn Davenport, about the effects of polycistic ovary syndrome (PCOS) on a woman’s fertility. Click the “play” button below to listen to the interview.
Below is a list questions Dr. Martinez answered in the interview.
- What are the most common symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome (also known as Stein-Leventhal syndrome)?
- Can you have PCOS and have regular periods?
- What causes PCOS?
- Is it hereditary?
- Is the condition more common now than in the past?
- Do environmental factors cause it?
- Why is it so hard to clearly diagnosis?
- Is fatigue a common symptom of this syndrome?
- What other endocrine diseases are often associated with polycystic ovary syndrome?
- Is any type of diet or eating style more effective with the condition? Is it common for people with polycystic ovary syndrome to have a much harder time losing weight?
- How much weight do you need to lose to increase your fertility and to improve overall health?
- Is bariatric weight loss surgery effective at lowering the weight of PCOS sufferers, and does it improve their symptoms and overall health?
- Is there any evidence that avoiding gluten will improve the symptoms?
- How is polycystic ovary syndrome diagnosed?
- What are treatment options for PCOS?
- Spironolactone, brand name Aldactone, addresses hair growth. How safe is this drug?
- How effective is Sprintec? How does it work?
- How effective is Metformin (an insulin sensitizer) at treating polycystic ovary syndrome?
- Women are often told to take birth control pills to control the symptoms, but does it matter what type of birth control pill that they take?
- Is there any way to control acne without being on birth control pills?
- “How can I manage my symptoms and still get pregnant? I was told the Pill is the best way to control PCOS but I want to be pregnant.”
- Is oral fertility medication effective for helping women with polycystic ovary syndrome get pregnant?
- What are the latest treatments for PCOS?
- What natural treatments, alternative treatments, complimentary treatments, and supplements are effective to treat PCOS?
- Should you avoid dairy if you have PCOS?
- What are the statistics for women with the condition getting pregnant?
- What are other health risks?
- Is there a cancer risk with PCOS?